"Girls these days are all talk and no muscle."
Yoruichi Shihōin (四楓院 夜一, Shihōin Yoruichi) is the former captain of the 2nd Division of the Gotei 13, as well as the former commander of the Onmitsukidō. Her Lieutenant was Marenoshin Ōmaeda. Having abandoned her command of both positions, she works with Kisuke Urahara and Tessai Tsukabishi, based in the Urahara Shop out in the Human World.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Plot
- 4.1 Agent of the Shinigami arc
- 4.2 Soul Society arc
- 4.3 Bount arc (anime only)
- 4.4 Arrancar arc
- 4.5 The New Captain Shūsuke Amagai arc (anime only)
- 4.6 Fake Karakura Town arc
- 4.7 Zanpakutō Unknown Tales arc (anime only)
- 4.8 Gotei 13 Invading Army Arc (anime only)
- 4.9 The Lost Substitute Shinigami arc
- 4.10 The Thousand-Year Blood War Arc
- 5 Equipment
- 6 Powers & Abilities
- 7 Appearances in Other Media
- 8 Censorship
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Quotes
- 11 References
- 12 Titles
- 13 Navigation
Yoruichi Shihōin is a slender and well-endowed woman of average height. She has dark skin, golden irises, and black hair. Her hair is waist-length and kept in a ponytail with chin-length bangs framing the sides of her face. Her standard attire consists of a black, backless, sleeveless undershirt, an orange over-shirt with two white straps on each shoulder, a large beige sash around her waist, and black stretch pants with a pair of lightweight brown shoes, which allow for stealth and easy use of Shunpo. She previously wore a beige neck warmer, which she pulled up to cover her face in order to hide her identity, but seems to have forgone its use. She occasionally wears long beige wrist and leg warmers, each secured by bands. During the Quincy Blood War, Yoruichi wears a short dress, arm warmers and thigh length boots.
Unlike any other known Shinigami, she can transform into a small black cat for long periods of time. In this form, she has a distinctive male voice and golden eyes.
110 years ago, during her time as a captain, she wore the same sleeveless and backless Onmitsukidō uniform, with long black wrist guards which Suì-Fēng wears now, but had a black ribbon tied around her neck. She wore a long-sleeved captain's haori. Her hair was much shorter, cut in a style similar to Suì-Fēng's current hairstyle, but without the braids. At some point prior to this, she wore the white Onmitsukidō uniform of the correction corps.
Yoruichi is intelligent and witty, holding an intimate knowledge of Soul Society and its workings, as she was the former leader of the Onmitsukidō and the Second Division's captain. Although of noble birth, she acts differently from most other nobles, very much like Kaien Shiba. For instance, she instructed Suì-Fēng to refer to her without using honorific suffixes, but reluctantly settled for being called "Yoruichi-sama". On several occasions, she transforms into her Human form directly in front of Ichigo just to see his reaction to seeing her naked, which she teases him about. In addition, she speaks in a dialect used by elders, such as identifying herself as "washi" (a term usually used by old men to define themselves with), instead of more feminine terms like "watashi", in both her Human and animal forms.
While it is unknown how she obtained her cat transformation, she appears to prefer spending most of her time in it. Upon showing her Shinigami form to Ichigo, she forgot to put on clothes, as she had grown used to not needing them; due to being in cat form for so long. She especially takes delight in transforming in front of people to see their shocked reaction, due to her cat form making her sound male. Her love for her cat form extends to great anger should someone harm it or insult its appearance, as seen from how upset she got after her tail was damaged.
Although relatively calm and mature when a situation calls for it, Yoruichi is quite laid-back and playful, often teasing or flirting with those younger than her, such as Ichigo Kurosaki at the underground hot spring, a younger and hot-headed Byakuya Kuchiki, Suì-Fēng before her time as a captain, and Kisuke Urahara, childhood friend, former underling, and fellow ex-captain. Yoruichi prefers to drink milk, which fits with her practice of transforming into a cat.
Agent of the Shinigami arc
Soul Society arc
Bount arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
One night, while Urahara is standing in front of his shop and displaying concern about what is going on in Karakura Town, Yoruichi approaches him. When the Espada Ulquiorra Cifer and Yammy Llargo begin to terrorize Karakura Town, Urahara and Yoruichi show up to save Ichigo from Yammy. After Urahara blocks his punch with his Chikasumi no Tate, Yoruichi easily dispatches Yammy, only for the enraged Arrancar to try to attack her from behind as she goes to help an injured Orihime. Yoruichi, turning around, brutally attacks Yammy, literally pounding him into the ground. As Yoruichi goes back to helping Orihime, Yammy gets up, enraged, and attempts to hit her with a point blank Cero, but Urahara counters it with a similar attack to nullify it. When Yammy becomes confused at the concept of this, Urahara, deciding to show off, fires a blast of spiritual energy from his Zanpakutō at Yammy, which is deflected by Ulquiorra with his bare hand. Ulquiorra, incapacitating Yammy for his rash actions and brutishness, proceeds to explain to him who he is fighting. The two Espada return to Hueco Mundo.
Later, while at Urahara's shop, Yoruichi recuperates from an injured left arm and leg. When Urahara expresses concern about her state, Yoruichi admits she was foolish to fight him without using Shunkō, though she didn't think the Arrancar's skin would be so hard. She confirms the Arrancar are tougher than either she or Urahara had anticipated.
The New Captain Shūsuke Amagai arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Fake Karakura Town arc
When Urahara and Isshin Kurosaki immobilize Aizen, Yoruichi appears, wearing armor on her arms and legs, and attacks Aizen from above. She smashes into his back with such force that it destroys the surrounding area, and lands a direct punch with even more force, causing damage to an entire block. Urahara yells for Yoruichi to move away. Aizen quickly recovers, and before Yoruichi can fully dodge his counterattack, he destroys the armor on Yoruichi's left leg. As Aizen emerges from the rubble with his new form severely cracked, he asks them if this is all they have, stating that they better hurry up and make the next move, as he plans to crush them all, one by one, into tiny fragments, down to the very last remnant.
When Urahara expresses his surprise at how the armor he created was destroyed by Aizen with one blow, Yoruichi tells him off for not building the armor properly. Urahara warns Yoruichi to keep away as they prepare to face the next attack, but she remarks that she will be fine as long as Aizen does not attack her exposed leg. Aizen's next blow takes her completely by surprise. Managing to escape Aizen's assault at the cost of her right arm-guard, Yoruichi complains to Kisuke when he asks if she is alright. She tells him she was able to block the attack because of the "half-finished" armor, but she would have simply dodged it without the armor. After they stop arguing, Kisuke launches a Kidō blast at Aizen. Yoruichi, taking advantage of this, attempts to attack Aizen, but he, anticipating their ploy, blocks her attack. She follows up with a Shunkō assault, knocking him to the ground, but Aizen blocks her next attack. Urahara interrupts by immobilizing Aizen with Benihime. Yoruichi, along with Kisuke and Isshin, are defeated by Aizen, who leaves for the real Karakura Town in Soul Society.
Zanpakutō Unknown Tales arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Gotei 13 Invading Army Arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
The Lost Substitute Shinigami arc
When Ichigo regains his powers, he notices Yoruichi's power was used to help restore his own. She is in her cat form, perched atop Kisuke Urahara's head, when Ichigo returns from Soul Society after collecting Kūgo Ginjō's body.
The Thousand-Year Blood War Arc
During the second Wandenreich invasion, while Ichigo and his friends are preparing to return to the Soul King Palace via a replica of Kūkaku's cannon, Yoruichi appears when Orihime is feeling self-conscious about her new outfit and slaps Ichigo before scolding him for stating Orihime is showing too much, as it is clear she was deceived by a maniac and does not want to wear it. When Urahara welcomes her and asks her what happened, Yoruichi reveals a set of bottles underneath her cloak, prompting Urahara to explain to the others how she joined Hiyori's team and collected the large amount of energy created by closing the distortion between the worlds. Yoruichi later accompanies Ichigo, Orihime, Sado and Ganju as they are launched towards the Soul King Palace. When Orihime mentions how similar it is to the time they rescued Rukia Kuchiki, she comments on Yoruichi being a cat at the time, prompting Yoruichi to say that she can still transform into a cat.
Later, Yoruichi and the others arrive at the palace, where Yoruichi has her fall cushioned by Orihime's Santen Kesshun. Yoruichi notices Ichibē Hyōsube's head lying on the ground and rushes toward the main palace alongside the others after he revives himself and explains the situation. Eventually, Yoruichi and the others arrive at the main palace, where they confront Yhwach. Soon afterward, Yoruichi expresses shock when Ichigo's right side is enveloped in Blut Vene veins upon touching Yhwach's sword.
While Yhwach is explaining what happened to Ichigo, Yoruichi takes advantage of his distraction to envelop him in a wire cage. She then orders Orihime to use her powers to restore the Soul King, and looks on as Orihime fails in her attempt to do so. When Mimihagi arrives to stabilize the Soul King, Yoruichi looks at it in shock. After Ichigo prevents Yhwach from destroying both of them, Yoruichi leaps to the Soul King and creates a Kidō barrier around it by placing several seals on the ground. Yoruichi notes that Mimihagi has stabilized the king before proclaiming that they will simply have to replace the king.
However, Yoruichi is caught off-guard when she is shot in the shoulder with a Heilig Pfeil by Uryū, who has arrived at the scene of the battle. Due to her momentary lapse in concentration, the barrier shatters, sending the top half of the Soul King flying toward Yhwach, who catches it. Yoruichi begins throwing spheres at Yhwach in an attempt to injure him, but Yhwach has Pernida Parnkgjas warp her arm before throwing her out of the palace.
Yoruichi manages to remove her useless arm and lands on one of the floating cities nearby before catching Ichigo and his friends, who are falling on top of Orihime's Santen Kesshun, with two black arrows tied to a nearby post. After waking Ichigo up with a kick and having her arm restored by Orihime, Yoruichi asks the others if it is time to counterattack before having Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez arrive via Garganta. After everyone enters the modified Valley of Screams created by Riruka Dokugamine and Yukio Hans Vorarlberna, Yoruichi explains to Ichigo how they are going to infiltrate the palace using a Garganta and the Valley of Screams.
As the Valley of Screams begins moving along the track, Yoruichi tells the others that they will keep moving until they reach the palace because she put a nail near the Soul King when the barrier around him was collapsing. When Sado asks her what power Pernida has, Yoruichi admits that she only knows that her arm broke before telling the others to not go near it. As the group approaches the Royal Realm, Yoruichi asks them if they are ready. When they reach the palace, Yoruichi exits the Valley of Screams alongside the others and is confused by the presence of the Wandenreich city, only to see the stake she placed in the palace nearby, which prompts her to realize that Yhwach has reshaped the entire palace.
Noting that they were spared from the reshaping process because they were in the Garganta the whole time, Yoruichi notices her little brother's Reiatsu and informs the others of whom it belongs to before questioning Ichigo's desire to know why she had not told him of this before. Upon noticing her companions trying to envision her brother, Yoruichi informs them that they look very much alike, prompting Ichigo and the others to imagine Yūshirō as a cat, to Yoruichi's irritation. As she and the others run toward the center of the palace, Yoruichi claims that Ichigo is very much like Yūshirō for having tried and failed to make Reishi platforms in the palace.
Later on, after Askin Nakk Le Vaar incapacitates Ichigo, Sado, and Orihime, Yoruichi confronts him while questioning why he does not use this opportunity to simply strangle them, which prompts Askin to attack her. When Yoruichi wonders if he believes his opponents are beneath him, Askin claims that poisoning people is elegant while strangling is more suited for people like Yoruichi and Bambietta Basterbine. Hearing this, Yoruichi activates her Shunkō and states that Askin is trying to describe how the beautiful do things before catching one of his Heilig Pfeil and hitting Askin in the shoulder with it. After claiming that Askin is going to have to let them through, Yoruichi activates Shunkō: Raijin Senkei before engulfing Askin in an enormous blast.
As the blast decimates the nearby area, Yoruichi grabs Orihime and tells her to heal herself, Sado, and Ichigo before going ahead. Telling Orihime that she will be fine, Yoruichi is interrupted when Yūshirō comes flying toward her. When Yoruichi dodges him, Yūshirō quickly wraps himself around her leg, but Yoruichi headbutts him and asks him why he is not with Urahara. Yūshirō replies that with all the Captain-class Shinigami running around, he thought he could come to her rescue, which amuses Yoruichi. She sarcastically tells him that he became a lot stronger, but Yūshirō takes it seriously, to her exasperation. When Askin emerges from the smoke, and Yoruichi tells a healed Ichigo to head off with the others. Ichigo tells her to watch herself, but Yoruichi says it will take a lot more to slow her down as he runs off with Sado and Orihime. Askin watches them run away, and reflects that Yhwach would be angry at him. Askin mocks her attack, causing Yūshirō to fly at him in a rage. Yūshirō uses Shunkō on Askin, and Yoruichi reluctantly commends him for learning a powerful technique in such a short time. However, Askin survives the attack, shocking Yoruichi and Yūshirō, as he says that their Reiatsu could no longer kill him.
Yoruichi notices that Askin's wounds are all healing as he reveals that he has become immune to their Reiatsu attacks. Yūshirō reactivates Shunkō and rushes toward Askin despite Yoruichi telling him not to. However, Yūshirō is impaled by Reishi arrows and collapses, and Yoruichi rushes to catch her brother. Askin tells her that it took them far too long to realize what his power is.
Askin blasts Yoruichi with a Gift Ball containing Reishi, oxygen, and nitrogen, causing her to become weakened and struggle to keep herself up. Yoruichi does not know what to make of Askin toying with her, but he replies that he was trying his best to kill her. Yoruichi looks at the fallen Yūshirō, knowing that he could not last much longer in that state but she is too weak to heal him. Suddenly, Askin appears right in front of her, saying that if it took this long for her to react, then she was as good as dead.
Suddenly, Kisuke appears and injects an immunity strengthening drug into her rear end, causing Yoruichi to kick him in the jaw. As Kisuke faces Askin, the drugs take effect and Yoruichi leaps up into the air. She asks Kisuke what he injected into her, but quickly deduces what it was, and Kisuke tells her that it will only last about five minutes due to its production being rushed. Yoruichi says that that is enough time as she activates Shunkō: Raijin Senkei. Kisuke suggests that Yoruichi use another technique, which she immediately rejects due to not wanting to take on that form again. The two dodge a Heilig Pfeil fired by Askin, and Yoruichi rushes toward the Quincy. However, Askin dodges her attacks and punches her in the stomach, causing her to fall to the ground. Kisuke calls out to Yoruichi, revealing she will go into the form he suggested if he rips off a piece of paper. Kisuke does so, forcing Yoruichi to activate Shunshin Chōhengen.
Askin wonders what Yoruichi has become, but she is now unable to understand him as Kisuke reveals she has activated Shunkō: Raiju Senkei: Shunryū Kokubyō Senki. Yoruichi leaps toward Askin and slashes him in the shoulder while engulfing him with her Reiatsu. Due to now having frequent changes in mood, Yoruichi ignores Askin and licks herself, but quickly returns to punch Askin far away. She then engulfs him in a large bolt of Reiatsu, and leaps to Kisuke when he calls her. Yoruichi licks him and rests on his lap, but the immunity drug begins wearing off, causing her to whimper in pain. Suddenly, Askin engulfs Yoruichi and Kisuke in Gift Ball Deluxe and approaches them with his Quincy: Vollständig activated.
Two of Yoruichi's unique items are accessories which grant the user the power of flight.
- Ryūkotsujō (竜骨杖, Dragon Bone Jō): A long, beige, bone wand-like artifact, with a small, white, bird-shaped skull, and four protrusions, similar to finger bones, extending from the back of the skull. By channeling Reiryoku into the wand, it produces a tentacle, which acts a harness, and a single bat-like wing manifests from the four bone protrusions, which acts as a one-handed hang-glider. No skill or previous experience is required to use it.
- Tentōken (天踏絢, Heaven-Stepping Adornment): It is a brown mantle, with a large drawstring closure at the collar and a large brooch displaying the Shihōin Clan crest. Like the wand, the Tentōken requires no skill or previous experience to use. It appears to be superior to the wand, since it allows one to hover in mid-air, and does not immobilize one of the user's hands.
- Anken (暗剣, Dark Blade; Viz "Dark Sword"): Small knives which Yoruichi hides in her boots. She can launch them at a target with a swing of her leg.
- Anti-Hierro Armor: A set of metal gloves and boots, invented by Kisuke Urahara, designed specifically to counter an Arrancar's Hierro during hand-to-hand combat. They are exceptionally durable, protecting the wearer's limbs even during the moment of their destruction.
- Razor Wire: Razor-sharp wire which Yoruichi carries on her person. She can trap an opponent in a field of it almost instantaneously, and according to her, it can harm someone as powerful as Yhwach should he try to move through it.
- Destructive Spheres: Somewhat small, light-colored spheres attached to each other by a string that Yoruichi throws at her opponent. According to her, once a sphere hits her opponent's body, a second sphere hitting that same area will destroy it.
Powers & Abilities
Feline Transformation: Yoruichi possesses the unique ability to shape-shift into a black cat at will. How she alone, out of all Shinigami, is capable of this is currently unknown. She has possessed the ability for well over 100 years, and it is known to others she knew from that time. She apparently has no set time limit on the transformation, as she had been in this form for over 100 years. In cat form, Yoruichi can still channel her spiritual energy and move at incredible speeds, though she is physically limited. Her transformation grants her a complete disguise, as her voice in this form is deep enough to lead most to assume she is a male.
Shunpo Master: Considered to be the most proficient Hohō master ever in all of Soul Society, Yoruichi is immensely skilled in the use of Shunpo. Yoruichi holds the title "Flash Goddess" (瞬神, Shunshin; Viz "Flash Master"), because she has mastered this ability to the point where she can appear to be in several places at once and wipe out an entire Onmitsukidō squadron in seconds. She can easily close tremendous gaps of distance in the blink of an eye while remaining undetected, and can surprise Byakuya, who is one of the most proficient masters in the art as well. She has mastered all of the Onmitsukidō's speed-oriented techniques, and has even created some of her own, such as Utsusemi (空蝉, Cicada, referencing their molting). The full extent of her abilities remain unclear, but she was able to outrun Byakuya while carrying an unconscious Ichigo over her shoulder, performing around 300 steps before feeling tired from being 100 years out of practice. Suì-Fēng was able to strike Yoruichi multiple times, but was unable to hit her in the same spot twice with her Zanpakutō. She can still perform Shunpo while in her cat form, however, she is not as fast as she is in her true form.
- Utsusemi (空蝉, Cast-Off Cicada Shell): Way of Onmitsu, 3rd of the Shihō. It allows for movement at great speed, leaving at least one tangible after-image behind. Byakuya Kuchiki states Yoruichi taught it to him.
Hakuda Master: As former Commander-in-Chief of the Onmitsukidō, Yoruichi is one of the most accomplished hand-to-hand combatants in Soul Society. Her mastery of the art form is so great that she uses it exclusively as her form of combat, forgoing the use of a Zanpakutō altogether. She took down nearly 50 Onmitsukidō members with only Hakuda. She has taken on Espada-level Arrancar, such as when she brutally defeated Yammy, and is regarded by the 4th Espada Ulquiorra Cifer as highly dangerous. She fought three Shinigami captains and four lieutenant-level and above opponents at the same time with Hakuda without receiving any notable damage.
- Taketonbo (竹蜻蛉, Bamboo Dragonfly): A Hakuda technique which involves a simple, yet effective, throw which suddenly and violently flips an opponent upside down.
- Raiōken (雷王拳, Thunder King Fist): A Hakuda technique involving a series of ultra-high-speed punches delivered using both arms. When performing this technique while wearing Anti-Hierro Armor, Yoruichi severely cracked Aizen's first form, destroying the surrounding portion of Karakura Town in the process.
Shunkō (Lightning) (瞬閧, Flash War Cry): An advanced technique which combines Hakuda with Kidō. This technique surrounds her back and arms with pressurized Kidō based on the element of lightning. The keisen uniform has no back or sleeves because they will rip apart when it is activated. Apart from enhancing her arms and legs for combat, the technique allows her to instantly neutralize an opponent's movement. The Kidō itself can be controlled and fired at opponents from her body, which creates massive explosions. Yoruichi's version of the technique was developed and studied by her a century ago; therefore, the technique is complete and the compressed Kidō is visible. While using this technique, her Reiatsu takes the form of white lightning. Her skill and control in its usage has progressed to the point of activation taking the form of a pair of lightning wings generated from her back.
- Shunkō: Raijin Senkei (瞬閧 雷神戦形, Flash War Cry: Thunder God War Form): The lightning emitted from Yoruichi's back creates a circle of electrical energy in the shape of Raijin's drums behind her as Yoruichi unleashes a giant column of concentrated electrical energy to engulf her opponent.
- Shunkō: Raiju Senkei: Shunryū Kokubyō Senki (瞬閧 雷獣戦形 瞬霳黒猫戦姫, Flash War Cry: Thunder Beast Battle Form: Flash God Black Cat Warrior Princess): Upon release a huge column of electrical energy is released. When the energy disappears Yoruichi has taken on the form of a hybrid of Shunkō and her feline form. Her feet become clawed cat paws, this form clads her arms and legs in electricity covering her forearms past the elbow and her legs up to her thighs, each ending with claws made of electrical energy. The energy forms her hair into the form of cat ears and she grows a tail. This form sheaths her in an aura of electrical energy. This form gives her the mentality of a cat and allows the cat nature of "fickleness" to manifest in her Reiatsu. While Yoruichi is naturally moody, she is even more so in this form; her Reiatsu is directly responsive to her changes in mood, and therefore becomes reliably unstable by changing 48 times per second. Kisuke Urahara is the only one who can control her in this form.
Kidō Expert: As former captain of the 2nd Division and the Commander-in-Chief of the Onmitsukidō, Yoruichi is well-versed in Kidō. Though she commonly employs Shunpo and hand-to-hand fighting techniques, she is highly skilled in using Kidō to further her capacity in combat, often mixing it with other fighting techniques. She has used mid to high-level binding and destruction spells with no incantation with expert skill. After Mimihagi stabilized the bifurcated Soul King, Yoruichi set up a protective barrier using several seals and drawn lines similar to the ones used in Tenteikūra, displaying an advanced knowledge of protective Kidō spells. Her skill is great enough to effortlessly learn new variations of Kidō with only simple instructions, such as activating Kūkaku Shiba's Reishūkaku cannonball orbs.
- Kaidō (回道, Turn Way): Yoruichi also has a degree of proficiency in healing Kidō.
- Hanki (反鬼, Reverse Demon): This technique is used by Yoruichi during Shunkō. It nullifies an opponent's Kidō by hitting it with a Kidō of perfectly opposite speed and energy. The technique can neutralize an opponent's movements.
Expert Swordsman: While preferring to fight her opponents barehanded, during her days as a captain, Yoruichi showed herself to be a highly capable swords-woman, taking down a huge Hollow with a single strike of her sealed Zanpakutō.
Master Assassin: As the former Commander-in-Chief of the Onmitsukidō, Yoruichi is one of the foremost masters of the art of assassination. She has repeatedly shown impressive skill in staying hidden and unseen. When necessary, she can effectively exploit having an advantage against an opponent or hiding her presence. Even Aizen was taken completely by surprise, and just as easily subdued.
Master Strategist: As the former head of her clan and ex-commander of the Onmitsukidō, Yoruichi is a capable leader. She has repeatedly proven to be insightful and crafty, capable of quickly understanding any situation that presents itself and adjusting to it effectively. Upon learning Ichigo would go to save Rukia no matter what, Yoruichi began making preparations of her own by training Orihime and Chad.
Immense Spiritual Power: As a former captain and head of a noble clan, Yoruichi boasts a tremendous amount of spiritual power. During Ichigo's Bankai Training, she kept the Tenshintai active for an extended period of time with her Reiryoku. The reputation of her power is enough to make 4th Espada Ulquiorra Cifer wary to engage in combat with her, even with the help of 0 Espada Yammy Llargo. Her spiritual energy and control of it is great enough to act as a shield from fairly powerful attacks, as seen from blocking Jin Kariya's lightning blast with a single hand. While using Shunkō, her concentrated spiritual power becomes far greater than normal. Her Reiatsu is red.
Enhanced Strength: Despite her slender appearance, Yoruichi is extremely strong in her Shinigami form. She could still easily use Shunpo while carrying around an unconscious Ichigo to outrun a fellow Shunpo Master. She easily caught a direct punch from Yammy Llargo, and simultaneously threw him several feet away. She easily injured him, despite his thick Hierro, with various unarmed moves, but is injured by his Hierro. Though she admits she wasn't expecting his skin to be that hard, she states she could have avoided taking any damage if she had Shunkō activated. A concentrated blow from Yoruichi can destroy an entire city block.
Enhanced Endurance: Despite her own admission of being out of shape, Yoruichi is a very resilient warrior. Both when out of breath from prolonged running against Byakuya and sustaining fractures from Yammy's Hierro, Yoruichi was still able to fight effectively while showing no signs of weakening. Even when her arm started to twist rapidly due to Pernida Parnkgjas's The Compulsory, Yoruichi didn't show any signs of being in pain and was more wondering the nature of the power. Likewise, Yoruichi showed a resistance to Askin Nakk Le Vaar's The Deathdealing, able to survive exposure to lethal doses of several substances and retain consciousness, impressing Askin.
As a former captain of the Gotei 13, it is known that Yoruichi possesses a Zanpakutō and has achieved Bankai, but she relies nearly exclusively on Hohō and Hakuda. Although she doesn't carry it at all in the current time, she wore it in the past. It resembles a kodachi or wakizashi which she kept sheathed horizontally behind her on her lower back, similar to how Suì-Fēng carries hers in the present day.
- Shikai: Not Revealed
- Bankai: Not Revealed
Appearances in Other Media
- In Ryōgo Narita's novel Bleach: Can't Fear Your Own World, Yoruichi mentions that she never uses her Zanpakutō because she is stronger when using Shunkō. However, due to this she has to comfort her upset Zanpakutō Spirit every day.
- In The 3rd Phantom, she is capable of using both Shunkō and Shunshinraijin (瞬神雷神, Flashing Lightning God), as well as using other Kidō, such as Hadō #4. Byakurai, and is a Speed-type character.
- In Soul Carnival, she has a technique called Shunretsugeki (瞬烈撃, Flashing Fierce Strike).
- Yoruichi appears again in Soul Resurrección in her arm and leg armor that she used against Aizen. In this game, she can use Musō Renbu (無双連舞, Matchless Serial Dance), where she unleashes a barrage of rapid punches against her opponent. Her Ignition Attack is Shunkō Raigeki (瞬閧雷撃, Flash Cry Thunder Strike), where she generates a javelin of white energy before throwing it at her opponent.
- In Bleach: Brave Souls, various versions of Yoruichi are playable, including one drawing from her appearance during the Thousand Year Blood War arc. In this form, Yoruichi is a melee strong attack character with the "Speed" Attribute and the "Hollow Killer" ability who has a chance to inflict Paralysis with every attack. Her unlockable skills are "Bruiser +20%", "Debilitator +5 secs.", "Devastation +40%", "Frenzy +1", "Long Reach +20%", and "Sprinter +1", while her Soul Trait is "Strong Attack Damage +20%"; meanwhile, her Arena Traits are "Strong Attack Recharge Time -7%" and "Spiritual Pressure +90", while her Arena Abilities other than "All Stats +5%" are "Paralysis Duration -100%" at level 5 and "Strong Attack Damage +30%" at level 10. Yoruichi's special is Shunkō: Raiju Senkei - Shunryū Kokubyō Senki (瞬閧 雷獣戦形『瞬霳黒猫戦姫』, Flash War Cry: Thunder Beast Battle Form: Flash God Black Cat Warrior Princess), where she becomes clad in lightning-like Reiatsu and attacks with incredible speed, inflicting immense damage and Paralysis; after doing so, Yoruichi remains in this form for a brief period of time.
- Yoruichi is also playable as an alternate-reality version of herself from a technology-oriented Soul Society known as the Machine Society. In this form, Yoruichi is a melee strong attack character with the "Power" attribute and the "Hollow Killer" ability who has a chance to inflict Burn with every attack except for her second strong attack, which is a boost move. She has the "Poison Resistance" and "Read Hollow Dodges" Innate Abilities built in at ★5 and her unlockable skills are "Berserker +20%", "Bruiser +20%", "Debilitator +2 secs.", "Devastation +40%", "Enhancer +10 secs.", "Frenzy", "Guard Break", "Havoc +20%", and "Sprinter +1", while her Soul Trait is "Strong Attack Recharge Time -12%". Yoruichi's special is Twilight Strike (宵煌ストライク, Shōō Sutoraiku; Japanese for "Dusk-Brightening Strike"), where she combines magic and steam power in a tail strike that inflicts immense damage and Burn.
- Additionally, Yoruichi is playable in her usual attire, drawing from her and Kisuke Urahara's confrontation with Ulquiorra Cifer and Yammy Llargo in Karakura Town. In this form, Yoruichi is a melee normal attack character with the "Speed" attribute and the "Espada Killer" ability. Her unlockable skills are "Team/Party Speed Attribute Soul Reaper Normal Attack Damage +20%", "Berserker +50%", "Bruiser +40%", "Devastation +40%", "Flurry", "Poise", and "Sprinter +1", while her "Soul Trait" is "Damage Taken -20%". Yoruichi's special is Thunder Strike (瞬撃, Shungeki; Japanese for "Thunder Beat"), where she performs a flying ax kick that inflicts immense damage.
- Yoruichi is also playable in a form drawing from her time as the captain of the Second Division. In this form, Yoruichi is a melee strong attack character with the "Technique" Attribute and the "Arrancar Killer" ability. Her unlockable skills are "Devastation +30%", "Frenzy", "Long Reach +15%", "Long Stride", and "Sprinter +1", while her Soul Trait is "Normal Attack Damage +20%"; when resurrected, her unlockable skills are "Bruiser +20%", "Devastation +40%", "Frenzy", "Havoc +20%", "Long Reach +20%", "Long Stride", and "Sprinter +1", while her Soul Traits are "Normal Attack Damage +20%" and "Poison Duration -55%". Yoruichi's special is Raiōken (雷王拳, Thunder King Fist), where she unleashes a high-speed Hakuda attack with both arms that inflicts immense damage to anything it hits.
- Additionally, Yoruichi is playable in her normal Shinigami attire, drawing from her game of tag with a young Byakuya Kuchiki. In this form, Yoruichi is a melee strong attack character with the "Heart" Attribute and the "Shinigami Killer" ability whose second Strong Attack is a Boost Move. Her unlockable skills are "Bruiser +20%", "Devastation +40%", "Enhancer +10 secs.", "Frenzy", and "Sprinter +1", while her Soul Trait is "Strong Attack Recharge Time -14%". Yoruichi's special is Flash Master Hakuda Flurry (瞬神・白打の連撃, Shunshin: Hakuda no Rengeki; Japanese for "Flash Goddess: Continuous Hakuda Attack"), where she performs an uncountable number of Flash Steps and Hakuda attacks that inflict immense damage.
- Yoruichi is also playable alongside Suì-Fēng as a team unit, only the second such unit to be added to the game. In this form, Yoruichi and Suì-Fēng are a melee strong attack unit with the "Mind" Attribute and the "Hollow Killer" and "No Affiliation Killer" abilities, with Yoruichi's normal attacks having a chance to inflict Lacerate and her Strong Attacks having a chance to inflict Poison while all of Suì-Fēng's attacks have a chance to inflict Poison. They have two Innate Abilities built in at ★5: "Fire Duration -100%" and "Freeze Duration -100%", and their unlockable skills are "Combo Bonus Increased CPU Double-Team Character Damage +1", "Berserker +20%", "Bruiser +20%", "Debilitator +5 secs.", "Devastation +40%", "Frenzy", "Guard Break", "Sprinter +1", and "Strong Attack Recharge Time -12%", while their Soul Trait is "Damage Inflicted At Full STA +20%"; meanwhile, their Arena Traits are "Slow Duration -65%", and "Focus +30", while their Arena Abilities other than "All Stats +5%" are "Strong Attack Damage +10%" at level 5 and "Strong Attack Damage +20%" at level 10. Yoruichi and Suì-Fēng's special is Heartfelt Duet (心頼の二重奏, Kokorodano no Nijūsō; Japanese for "Heartfelt Duo"), where they activate Shunkō and attack with kicks that inflict immense damage and Poison.
- Yoruichi is also playable in a swimsuit form. In this form, Yoruichi is a ranged strong attack character with the "Power" Attribute and the "No Affiliation Killer" ability who has a chance to inflict Weaken with every attack. Her unlockable skills are "Bruiser +20%", "Debilitator +5 secs.", "Devastation +40%", "Frenzy", "Slow Duration -100%", and "Sprinter +1, while her Soul Trait is "Strong Attack Recharge Time -12%". Yoruichi's special is Summer Spike (サマーアタック, Samā Atakku; lit. "Summer Attack"), where she performs a brutal beach volleyball attack that inflicts immense damage and Weaken.
- Yoruichi is a playable character in the crossover fighting game Jump Force; and was added in one of the game's DLC; and appears as her Quincy Blood War self. Her strongest move consists of her using her Shunkō: Raiju Senkei: Shunryū Kokubyō Senki form.
- Yoruichi features in the third volume of Bleach "B" Station's first season, as well as the fifth season's fifth volume.
- BuriCon - Bleach Concept Covers features Yoruichi performing "Houkiboshi" in a duet with Suì-Fēng.
- Yoruichi appears in the third through to eighth editions of the Rock Musical Bleach, where she is played by Kumiko Saitō.
- When Yoruichi injected Ichigo with an anesthetic, her hand wasn't shown impaling him as much in the anime, nor was it covered in the latter's blood, compared to the manga.
- In the manga while rescuing Ichigo from Byakuya and using Utsusemi to evade him, her afterimage had its arm sliced off. In the anime, the afterimage just had massive injuries on it.
- When Yoruichi was about to get into the hot spring with Ichigo, her bare hips weren't shown as much in the anime compared to the manga.
- In the anime, after Yoruichi and Sui-Feng both landed a hit on each other, Yoruichi wasn't bleeding from her mouth as much, as she was in the manga.
- When Yoruichi was stung by Sui-Feng's Suzumebachi after the first 2 strikes, she wasn't bleeding in the anime, as she was in the manga.
- The appearance of the Onmitsukidō commander outfit that Suì-Fēng and Yoruichi wear, has slight changes from the manga in order to make it less revealing. In the manga the uniform reveal the entirety of Suì Fēng and Yoruichi's backs, as well as small portions of the sides of their breasts. In the anime, the outfit has been redesigned to feature a white undershirt that covers the lower back, and the sides of the upper abdomen. It also does not reveal a portion of Suì-Fēng's thighs as it did in the manga.
- In the manga, after she attacked Yammy Llargo, a couple of his teeth were broken, but in the anime Yammy's teeth are unscathed.
- The theme song that Kubo chose for Yoruichi is "雲路の果て" by the artist Cocco.
- Yoruichi was voted the 15th most popular character in the first character popularity poll, 19th in the second, 7th in the third, 28th in the fourth, and 20th in the fifth.
- In the first best bout poll, Yoruichi's fight with Suì-Fēng ranked 9th; in the second, it ranked 7th while Yoruichi's fight alongside Kisuke Urahara and Isshin Kurosaki against Sōsuke Aizen ranked 38th and her fight with Byakuya Kuchiki ranked 68th.
- Yoruichi has a tribal tattoo on the outside of her left thigh, which was based on a picture of her drawn by Tite Kubo in Volume 26.
- In the 19th edition of Tedious Everyday Tales Colorful Bleach, Yoruichi is colored with purple eyes. In the following releases, however, her eyes are golden again.
- When Yoruichi was explaining how Urahara was a former member of the Gotei 13, she was still in her cat form. In the anime, however, she transformed back into her original and explained who Urahara was.
- In the anime, the three guardians whom Aizen summoned to Sōkyoku Hill were not shown. Instead, Kūkaku Shiba arrived with Jidanbō Ikkanzaka and used Raikōhō to attack Aizen before he was subdued by Yoruichi and Suì Feng.
- (To Orihime Inoue and Yasutora Sado) "People discover their true, inner powers when they want to protect something. Their own lives, status, honor, loved ones, a principle...a fierce desire to protect is the key."
- (To Orihime and Sado) "The heart and soul are closely linked. Your heart reveals what is most precious to you."
- Bleach Official Character Book Souls, page 151
- Bleach manga; Chapter 628, page 7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 116, page 21
- Bleach manga; Chapter 116, page 24
- Bleach manga; Chapter 116, pages 24-25
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118, page 15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118, page 18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 153, pages 17-18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 153, page 18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 656, page 10
- Bleach manga; Chapter 116, pages 21-24
- Bleach manga; Chapter 159, page 10
- Bleach anime; Episode 206, only shown in the anime.
- Bleach manga; Chapter -107, page 8
- Bleach manga; Chapter 130, page 10
- Bleach manga; Chapter 116, page 26
- Bleach manga; Chapter 83, pages 10-11
- Bleach manga; Chapter 159, page 7
- Bleach manga; Chapter -101, page 8
- Bleach manga; Chapter 130, pages 9-10
- Bleach manga; Chapter 159, page 9
- Bleach manga; Chapter -106, page 4
- Bleach manga; Chapter -107, page 4
- Bleach manga; Chapter 299, page 18
- Bleach manga; Chapter -107, pages 3-4
- Bleach manga; Chapter -106, pages 1-2
- Bleach manga; Chapter -105, pages 11-12
- Bleach manga; Chapter -105, pages 13-14
- Bleach manga; Chapter -102, pages 2-6
- Bleach manga; Chapter -97, pages 6-10
- Bleach manga; Chapter -97, pages 11-14
- Bleach manga; Chapter -97, pages 15-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 154, pages 11-13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 51, page 11
- Bleach manga; Chapter 51, page 17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 60, page 19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 61, pages 4-10
- Bleach manga; Chapter 62, pages 9-16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 67, page 19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 70, pages 7-16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 71, pages 14-20
- Bleach manga; Chapter 71, pages 24-27
- Bleach manga; Chapter 72, pages 5-7
- Bleach manga; Chapters 74-75
- Bleach manga; Chapter 75, page 6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 75, pages 10-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 76, pages 3-5
- Bleach manga; Chapter 76, pages 14-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 78, pages 9-16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 84, pages 1-5
- Bleach manga; Chapter 85, pages 6-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 86, page 3
- Bleach manga; Chapter 115, page 3
- Bleach manga; Chapter 116, pages 15-21
- Bleach manga; Chapter 116, pages 21-28
- Bleach manga; Chapter 117, pages 18-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118, pages 7-12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118, pages 12-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 119, pages 19-20
- Bleach manga; Chapter 120, pages 1-6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 120, pages 7-9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 120, pages 10-11
- Bleach manga; Chapter 127, pages 1-9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 129, page 15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 130, pages 1-12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 132, pages 14-18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 133, pages 11-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 137, page 21
- Bleach manga; Chapter 154, page 10
- Bleach manga; Chapter 153, pages 16-18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 154, pages 8-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 157, pages 7-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 158
- Bleach manga; Chapter 159
- Bleach manga; Chapter 172, pages 8-9
- Bleach manga; Chapters 177-181
- Bleach manga; Chapter 182, page 1
- Bleach manga; Chapter 182, pages 2-16
- Bleach anime; Episode 63
- Bleach anime; Episode 68
- Bleach anime; Episode 77
- Bleach anime; Episode 109
- Bleach manga; Chapter 185, page 5
- Bleach manga; Chapter 194, pages 1-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 195, pages 2-3
- Bleach manga; Chapter 226, pages 4-5
- Bleach anime; Episode 174
- Bleach anime; Episode 186
- Bleach anime; Episode 189
- Bleach manga; Chapter 403, pages 14-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 403, pages 6-9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 405, pages 6-15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 406, pages 13 & 17
- Bleach anime; Episode 231
- Bleach anime; Episode 245
- Bleach anime; Episode 246
- Bleach anime; Episode 247
- Bleach anime; Episode 248
- Bleach anime; Episode 317
- Bleach anime, Episode 318
- Bleach anime; Episode 319
- Bleach anime; Episode 326
- Bleach anime; Episode 328
- Bleach anime; Episode 329
- Bleach anime; Episode 336
- Bleach anime; Episode 337
- Bleach anime; Episode 339
- Bleach anime; Episode 340
- Bleach anime; Episode 341
- Bleach manga; Chapter 461, page 11
- Bleach anime; Episode 366
- Bleach manga; Chapter 589, pages 5-9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 598, pages 5-7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 611, pages 9-10 & 15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 613, page 12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 614, page 15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 615, pages 15-16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 617, page 6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 618, pages 11-12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 619, pages 7-14
- Bleach manga; Chapter 624, page 11
- Bleach manga; Chapter 624, pages 8 & 14-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 625, pages 11-15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 626, pages 2-3
- Bleach manga; Chapter 627, pages 1, 11-12, 16-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 628, pages 6-8
- Bleach manga; Chapter 629, page 12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 656, pages 9-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 657, pages 1-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 658, pages 1-7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 662, pages 3-5
- Bleach manga; Chapter 662, pages 6-8, 11-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 663, pages 1-2, 4-16
- Bleach: Brave Souls
- Bleach manga; Chapter 116, page 25
- Bleach manga; Chapter 158, page 9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 404, pages 5-6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 615, page 15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 619, page 12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 154, pages 12-15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118, pages 16-18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118, pages 13-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 119, page 19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 158, pages 4-13
- Bleach anime; Episode 205
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118, pages 17-18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 299, page 18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 154, pages 12-14
- Bleach manga; Chapter 194, page 15
- Bleach Official Character Book UNMASKED; page 157
- Bleach manga; Chapter 120, pages 3-4
- Bleach Official Character Book UNMASKED; page 151
- Bleach manga; Chapter 403, page 18
- Bleach Official Character Book Souls, page 198
- Bleach anime; Episode 57
- Bleach manga; Chapter 656, page 14
- Bleach manga; Chapter 656, pages 15-16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 662, pages 14-15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 662, page 16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 663, pages 9-11
- Bleach manga; Chapter 663, page 15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 618, pages 11-12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 84, pages 1-2
- Bleach manga; Chapter 662, page 4
- Bleach manga; Chapter 159, page 3
- Bleach anime; Episode 45
- Bleach manga; Chapter 177, pages 6-7
- Bleach manga; Chapters 127-129
- Bleach manga; Chapter 194, pages 1-4
- Bleach anime; Episode 25
- Bleach manga; Chapter 194, pages 1-14
- Bleach manga; Chapter 403, pages 14-16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 119, page 19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118, pages 13-18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 194, pages 5-7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 619, page 13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 662, pages 3-4
- Bleach video game; Bleach: The Third Phantom
- Bleach video game; Bleach: Soul Carnival
- Bleach video game; Bleach: Soul Resurrección
- Bleach anime; Episode 42
- Bleach manga; Chapter 118, pages 10-11
- Bleach manga, chapter 118, page 18
- Bleach anime, episode 42
- Bleach anime; Episode 47
- Bleach manga; Chapter 130, page 8
- Bleach anime; Episode 56
- Bleach manga; Chapter 157, page 15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 157, page 19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 158, page 7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 157, page 19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 194, page 9
- Bleach anime; Episode 114
- Bleach manga; Volume 8
- Bleach manga; Volume 13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 209
- Bleach manga; Chapter 307
- 13 BLADEs., page 253
- Bleach manga; Chapter 392, page 1
- 13 BLADEs., page 255
- Bleach: Official Bootleg KaraBuri+, pages 36-37
- Bleach manga; Chapter 130, page 11-12
- Bleach anime; Episode 62
- Bleach manga; Chapter 62, page 9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 62, page 11
- Bleach anime; Episode 246
|Goddess of Flash
|22nd Head of the Shihōin family
? - ?
|Captain of the 2nd Division
? -1900 A.D.
|Commander-in-Chief of the Onmitsukidō
? - 1900 A.D.
|Corps Commander of the Corrections Corps of the Onmitsukidō
? - 1900 A.D.
|Corps Commander of the Executive Militia of the Onmitsukidō
? - ?