"How unfortunate for you, captain. You don't get to kill me. Don't forget my face because the next time we meet, I'll twist off that tiny head of yours and crush it!"
Luppi Antenor (ルピ・アンテノール, Rupi Antenōru) was the Sexta (6th) Espada in Sōsuke Aizen's army, having temporarily replaced Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez before his death at the latter's hands. He was later resurrected by Mayuri Kurotsuchi.
Luppi is a male Arrancar with youthful, but effeminate, features. He possesses short, curly though unevenly cut black hair and lavender eyes. Just above his left eyebrow is a row of three pink stars. The remains of his Hollow mask, which consist of a top row of teeth, rest atop the left side of his head. His Espada tattoo is prominently displayed on his right hip. However, the location of his Hollow hole is unknown. After being revived by Mayuri, Luppi has two stitched up lines running vertically down his face over both of his eyes.
Luppi wears a variation of a typical Arrancar outfit. His attire consists of a long-sleeve shirt, enough to cover and cloak his hands. Luppi's shirt has an opening on the left side of his body, just below his arm, allowing him to place his Zanpakutō within it. In addition, there are two large square-like holes on the bottom portion of his shirt that reveal his left and right abdomens. Luppi finishes his outfit with a white hakama, black sash, black tabi socks and a pair of low-heeled open-toe shoes.
Luppi is rather arrogant, insulting Grimmjow for his lowered rank and boasting constantly when in battle. He mocks his enemies by saying "Sorry!" in a sarcastic tone after insulting somebody, as well as by licking his lips and noting the odds against his enemies out loud (e.g. 4-on-8).
In battle, Luppi is unsatisfied with fighting opponents that pose no challenges to him, going so far as to invite multiple opponents to attack him simultaneously during his battle in Karakura Town. Luppi also likes toying with his opponents in battle, especially if he doesn't consider them a threat. He is easily irritated, however, rising to the simplest of taunts. He is a bit lewd, commenting on Rangiku's breasts, but almost immediately afterwards, he threatened to kill her. He is clearly vengeful, as when the mission was over and he was still alive after Tōshirō Hitsugaya's attack, he vowed to the young captain that he'd be back to kill him.
Luppi and Gin Ichimaru, on the other hand, are on good terms, as Gin comments about being lonely after Luppi's death, citing the fact that the two often spoke. Though in an omake, after Gin makes a friendly comment on it, Luppi gleefully denies this fact, much to Ichimaru's dismay.
Luppi is present when Aizen transforms Wonderweiss Margela with the Hōgyoku and later leads an attack on the Human World. He is joined by Yammy Llargo, Grimmjow and Wonderweiss. After arriving in the Human World via a Garganta, Grimmjow leaves in search of Ichigo Kurosaki. Yammy tries to stop him, but Luppi tells him that Grimmjow is no longer an Espada and he is worthless. The group then engage in battle with Captain Tōshirō Hitsugaya, Lieutenant Rangiku Matsumoto, as well as Ikkaku Madarame and Yumichika Ayasegawa.
Luppi fights with Yumichika and easily gains the upper hand. After Ikkaku refuses his invitation to help Yumichika, Luppi tells Yammy that he would rather fight all four at once and releases his Zanpakutō. Hitsugaya charges at him in a bid to stop the Arrancar from releasing, but is unable to do so, instead being attacked by one of Luppi's tentacles, which Hitsugaya blocks. After complimenting Hitsugaya's strength, he attacks the captain with all of his tentacles and sends him plummeting to the ground. After commenting that 4 against 1 is better, he corrects himself, saying that he should have said 4 against 8.
Luppi then continues to fight Rangiku, Yumichika and Ikkaku, overwhelming the Shinigami and capturing them with his tentacles. As he threatens to punch holes into Rangiku's body, Kisuke Urahara severs the tip of his tentacle, preventing Luppi's attack and freeing Rangiku. Unfazed, Luppi asks Kisuke who he is. After introducing himself, Kisuke is attacked by Wonderweiss and Luppi returns his attention to the other Shinigami, quickly recapturing Rangiku. He calls Rangiku pathetic for being recaptured so quickly. Rangiku tells him that he talks too much and that guys who talk too much gross her out. Luppi reminds her that she is being help captive and threatens to skewer her. However, his tentacles are frozen by Tōshirō, who criticizes the Espada for not following through on his earlier attack. Tōshirō uses his Bankai's ability, Sennen Hyōrō, to encase Luppi in ice. Shortly afterwards, Luppi is saved by a Negación, which shatters the ice. As Luppi moves towards a Garganta, he threatens to decapitate Hitsugaya the next time they meet.
Once having returned to Hueco Mundo, Luppi expresses his anger that their attack was nothing more than a diversion to capture Orihime Inoue. When Aizen asks Orihime to demonstrate her power by restoring Grimmjow's arm, Luppi claims that it is impossible because Kaname Tōsen turned his arm into ashes. He then tells Orihime that there is no way she could heal something that does not exist, threatening to kill her if she is unsuccessful and calling her power fake. However, once he sees her power in action, he is left in awe. After Aizen explains her power, Grimmjow asks Orihime to restore his Espada tattoo. He then quickly disposes of Luppi by impaling him with his restored arm and blasting Luppi's entire top half away with a Cero to regain his status as an Espada. With his last breath, Luppi curses Grimmjow.
The Thousand-Year Blood War arc
During the second Wandenreich invasion, a resurrected Luppi is brought out by Captain Mayuri Kurotsuchi to fight against Sternritter "Z", Giselle Gewelle, and the Shinigami zombie army she has amassed. When Dordoni Alessandro Del Socaccio and Cirucci Sanderwicci point out how they were told they could fight Ichigo Kurosaki and Uryū Ishida respectively, Luppi tells them to think about those things later, only for an annoyed Mayuri to deliver an electric shock to their brains while telling them to stop talking, with Luppi noting he has barely spoken so far. When Giselle asks Mayuri if he believes he can win with only four zombies, Luppi and the others angrily proclaim there is no way they could lose against the Shinigami before rushing forward. As they begin slaughtering the Shinigami, Luppi notices Dordoni is avoiding contact with the blood of the Shinigami and tells him to not worry, for Ikkaku was hit by Bambietta's blood and nothing happened to him. When even more zombified high-ranking Shinigami arrive, the Arrancar attack them, with Luppi taking on Rangiku Matsumoto.
Powers & Abilities
Great Spiritual Power: As the former sexta Espada, Luppi possesses a great amount of Reiryoku. In addition, he is capable of easily fending off three lieutenant-level Shinigami and a captain during the initial stages of the Espada's second invasion of Karakura Town. Luppi's Reiatsu is Pink.
Descorrer (解空(デスコレール), Desukorēru; Spanish for "Drawing Back/Opening", Japanese for "Loosed Void"): A technique used by Espada-level Arrancar, and sometimes others, to open a portal to the Garganta between the Human World and Hueco Mundo. Luppi used this ability during the second Arrancar invasion of Karakura Town. It tears open the dimensional fabric separating the worlds, revealing a tunnel of whirling, torrential energy which must be focused and solidified to create a discernible pathway. 
Trepadora (蔦嬢 (トレパドーラ), Torepadōra; Spanish for "Climbing Vine"; Japanese for "Ivy Lass"; Viz "Ivy Maiden"): When sealed, his Zanpakutō resembles a kodachi with a four-pronged silver tsuba, pink sheathe and matching colored hilt. He wears his Zanpakutō on his left side, just under his arm, in a little compartment within his shirt.
- Resurrección: Its release command is "Strangle" (縊れ, kubire). Luppi gains eight enormous tentacles, each of which is connected at one of the corners of an octagonal design fixated on his back, and a bone cowl on his head.
- Resurrección Special Ability: In this form, Luppi can use his tentacles to attack and bind his opponents from a distance.
Appearances in Other Media
|Video Game Appearances|
- In Brave Souls, Luppi is playable in multiple forms, including one derived from From Can't Fear Your Own World after Luppi was revived by Mayuri and turned into a zombie, where his Resurrección Trepadora is modified to gain a bone wrapping around the cowl and enormous vines covered in thorns replacing his tentacles. In this form, Luppi is a melee strong attack character with the "Mind" Attribute and the "No Affiliation Killer" ability who has a chance to inflict Weaken with every attack. His unlockable skills are "Berserker +20%", "Bruiser +20%", "Debilitator +5 secs.", "Devastation +40%", "Fire Duration -100%", "Frenzy", "Havoc +20%", and "Sprinter +1", while his Soul Trait is "Strong Attack Recharge Time -12%". Luppi's special is Thirst & Destruction - Gran Rey Cero (渇望と破壊・王虚の閃光, Katsubō to Hakai: Ōkyo no Senkō), where he follows up a volley of Ceros with a Gran Rey Cero, inflicting immense damage and Weaken.
- In Ryōgo Narita's novel, Can't Fear Your Own World, it is revealed that Luppi became the Sexta Espada because he shared the same Aspect of Death as Grimmjow: Destruction. Luppi also display he can also use a Gran Rey Cero too.
- While Luppi was battling Rangiku Matsumoto, Ikkaku Madarame, and Yumichika Ayasegawa, the 3 Shinigami weren't as injured by his attacks in the anime, as they were the manga.
- The theme song that Kubo chose for Luppi is "Keep Your Eye On The Twisted" by the band Pink Cream 69 on their album Games People Play.
- In the second best bout poll, Luppi's fight with Tōshirō Hitsugaya ranked 47th.
- In his manga debut, Luppi's Hollow mask possessed more teeth than what is later shown in his subsequent appearances.
- (To Tōshirō Hitsugaya after being saved by Negación) "How unfortunate for you captain. You don't get to kill me. Don't forget my face because the next time we meet, I'll twist off that tiny head of yours and crush it!"
- Bleach Official Character Book MASKED, page 159
- Bleach manga; Chapter 230, page 15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 240, pages 16-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 590, page 17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 229, page 12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 590, page 17
- Bleach manga; Volume 26
- Bleach manga; Chapter 230, page 11
- Bleach manga; Chapter 232, page 13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 236, page 17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 264, page 2
- Bleach anime; Episode 139, Arrancar Encyclopedia
- Bleach manga; Chapter 240, page 11
- Bleach manga; Chapter 229, pages 12-13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 230, pages 8-16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 231, pages 17-18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 232, pages 3-13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 233, pages 5-15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 234, pages 14-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 240, pages 10-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 590, page 16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 591, pages 7-11
- Bleach manga; Chapter 591, page 14
- Bleach manga; Chapter 594, page 6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 231, pages 1 & 3
- Bleach anime; Episode 139
- Bleach Official Character Book UNMASKED, page 149
- Bleach manga; Chapter 230, pages 11-12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 594, page 9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 232, page 8
- Bleach manga; Chapter 232, pages 5-7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 232, pages 9-10
- Bleach manga; Chapter 233, pages 5-6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 233, page 11
- Bleach novel; Can't Fear Your Own World, Chapter 11
- Bleach anime; Episode 139
- Bleach manga; Chapter 233, page 7
- 13 BLADEs., page 255
|Members||0: Yammy Llargo (Post-Release) •1st: Coyote Starrk / Lilynette Gingerbuck (Post-Release) • 2nd: Baraggan Louisenbairn • 3rd: Tier Harribel • 4th: Ulquiorra Cifer • 5th: Nnoitra Gilga • 6th: Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez • 7th: Zommari Rureaux • 8th: Szayelaporro Granz • 9th: Aaroniero Arruruerie|
|Former Members||3rd: Nelliel Tu Odelschwanck • 6th: Luppi Antenor|
|Privaron Espada||102nd: Pícaro • 103rd: Dordoni Alessandro Del Socaccio • 105th: Cirucci Sanderwicci • 107th: Gantenbainne Mosqueda|