Kenpachi (剣八, Sword-Eight) is the title that is only given to the strongest Shinigami. It is an ironclad rule that there can be only one Kenpachi per generation, meaning that the predecessor must die for the killer to succeed the title. To inherit this title, the candidate must kill the current Kenpachi in battle.
- Yachiru Unohana, the 1st Kenpachi and the former 4th Division Captain.
- Kenpachi Kiganjō, the 10th Kenpachi and the former 11th Division Captain.
- Kenpachi Zaraki, the 11th Kenpachi and the current 11th Division Captain.
Appearances in Other Media
Ryohgo Narita's novels, Bleach: Spirits Are Forever With You, feature a number of original characters, which include two former Kenpachi:
- Kenpachi Kuruyashiki, the 7th Kenpachi and a former 11th Division Captain.
- Sōya Azashiro, the 8th Kenpachi and a former 11th Division Captain.