"Unlike your lieutenant, who's all business, my counterpart approaches battle as a type of game. I like to enjoy the finer things in life, but she's different."
|English||Bones of Heavenly Blooming Madness|
|Japanese||Ayumi Fujimura (Taller half)|
|English||Erin Fitzgerald (Taller half)|
Katen Kyōkotsu's manifested spirit takes the form of two women. Katen is a tall, violet-haired woman with a red ribbon around her neck and a black eye patch covering her right eye. Her left eye is turquoise, and her hair is worn in two corkscrew pigtails with bangs framing her face. She wears an indigo cape with an imprint of a large skull and the two blades of Katen Kyōkotsu on it, and a long, dark dress with a significantly low-cut neckline, exposing her large breasts. She wears a golden bone headdress.
Kyōkotsu is shorter and younger in appearance. She has turquoise eyes and chin-length violet hair, which is styled so only her right eye is visible, with a skull decorating it. She wears a dark top which covers her lower face, her neck, and her arms, close-fitting shorts, and knee length socks. Over this, she wears a purple, hip-length coat fastened at the front by a dark purple sash. The tops of her thighs and the middle of her torso are left exposed.
While under the influence of Muramasa's brainwashing, Katen has a habit of covering her mouth with her sleeve. She is very hostile toward Shunsui Kyōraku, refusing an offer to settle their differences without fighting and calling him arrogant for offering. She always speaks for both herself and Kyōkotsu, who follows her lead, and implies they left Shunsui because of his "dull" personality. She derides Shunsui's practice of being a gentleman in battle, and claims she has no qualms with using full force against him. Initially, Katen and Kyōkotsu are very loyal to Muramasa, holding Shunsui off and refraining from killing him on Muramasa's orders. However, they turn on him once they learn of how he was lying to and using the Zanpakutō spirits to achieve another goal.
After being freed from Muramasa's control, Katen is on much better terms with Shunsui, playing a card game with him in their free time and painting on his face when she wins. She is fond of playing the shamisen in her free time, and frequently drinks sake with Shunsui. She is very lazy, refusing to leave a drinking party in order to hunt Tōjū alongside Nanao Ise because she considers it "back-breaking work", and likes to enjoy the finer things in life. She has a sense of aesthetics for beauty, and is irritated when Nanao attempts to throw a party underneath a barren tree. She is somewhat rude toward Nanao, referring to her as "young lady" instead of her real name. However, she is happy when Nanao manages to befriend Kyōkotsu. When appearing before Shunsui in combat when he uses his Bankai, Katen can be somewhat abrasive and mean toward him, claiming that he gets injured because he is wearing the clothing of another woman. However, as his Zanpakutō Spirit, she is still loyal to him and readily admits that they are alike, though she reacts violently when Shunsui acts perverted toward her.
Kyōkotsu is very different in temperament. She views battle as a type of game, and constantly toys with her opponent instead of killing them, leading Nanao to note she has no emotions. However, she becomes angry if someone prevents her from fighting in this manner. According to the taller half of Katen Kyōkotsu, she can be simultaneously innocent, ingenuous, merciless, and cruel, and tends to be dark and malicious. She immediately enters an unquestioning fighting mode as soon as someone approaches her, and attacked Nanao when the latter simply touched her shoulder. Rangiku Matsumoto notes she acts very un-ladylike; she refuses to wear beautiful clothes, incapacitates all of the men who had pledged to serve her, and does not like eating sweets. However, she likes flowers, and often stares at falling blossoms and various fruit trees; Nanao ends up befriending her by putting a blossom in her hair and taking her to see the blooming peach blossoms. She is very cooperative when treated decently, willingly giving Nanao her Zanpakutō when asked to do so. She can be somewhat meek, refraining from eating anything while at a bar with five other people because she did not believe she had permission to do so. Shunsui notes that she is very fond of the game hide-and-seek.
Zanpakutō Unknown Tales arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Beast Swords arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
The Thousand-Year Blood War arc
Katen appears behind Shunsui when he activates his Bankai against Lille Barro and disappears soon afterward before reappearing after Shunsui badly wounds Lille. When Shunsui affectionately calls her Ohana, Katen claims he is acting too familiar for someone who only plays with her when he feels like it before noting that his kimono is torn up because it belongs to another woman. Shunsui remarks that she is mean as usual, prompting Katen to state that she is still sworn to remain by his side until the end. After Shunsui seemingly defeats Lille, Katen catches him as he falls back, only to jab at his eye when Shunsui acts perverted toward her. As Katen notes that they are still very similar and have won, she is shocked to see Shunsui being shot through the chest by a large blast of energy from above.
After Shunsui manages to escape, Katen pleads with him to run away because she does not believe they can beat Lille if he survived Shunsui's Bankai before asking him to let her take him away. Shortly afterward, when Shunsui decides to return Nanao's Zanpakutō to her, Kyōkotsu appears behind her holding her sword. After Shunsui explains the history behind Nanao's Zanpakutō, Kyōkotsu pulls it out of her mask.
Powers & Abilities
Immense Spiritual Power: As the Zanpakutō spirits of one of the most powerful captains of the Gotei 13, Katen Kyōkotsu possess an incredible amount of Reiryoku. Along with Sōgyo no Kotowari and Minazuki, their power was enough to keep Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto's power at bay while he was within his barrier. Shunsui Kyōraku notes both parts of Katen Kyōkotsu have their own separate and distinct Reiatsu. They fought evenly against Shunsui during their battle. Kyōkotsu visibly intimidated Nanao Ise by exerting her Reiatsu.
Master Swordswomen: Katen Kyōkotsu are highly proficient in swordsmanship, fighting evenly against Shunsui, a master swordsman, during their battle. Shunsui himself noted they were holding back during their fight by not using his effective style of fighting: Kyōkotsu usually confuses their opponent with her fast attacks, while Katen finishes them off with her slower and more powerful strikes.
Enhanced Speed: Katen Kyōkotsu possess considerable speed, constantly keeping Shunsui on the defensive during their fight with swift attacks and movements. Kyōkotsu managed to move away twice without Nanao noticing, easily dodged all of the Bearded Tōjū's attacks, and quickly moved to the Bearded Tōjū in order to prevent him from attacking Nanao.
Enhanced Endurance: Kyōkotsu is considerably resilient. She managed to get up and prevent the Bearded Tōjū from attacking Nanao despite having been incapacitated prior.
- Shikai: Katen Kyōkotsu's released Zanpakutō take the form of a pair of large, black, heavily curved Chinese scimitars with silver edges, rectangular cross guards with cut-off corners, and dark blue handles, each with a long red tassel dangling from the end. Kyōkotsu wields a wakizashi, while Katen wields a slightly longer tachi.
Note: All the following quotes were spoken by Katen.
- (To Shunsui Kyōraku) "I refuse. Your arrogance is unbearable. To be perfectly frank, we've run out of patience with you."
- (To Shunsui Kyōraku) "Embarrassing. I had hoped for more of a challenge. Am I to believe this is all you've got?"
- (To Shunsui Kyōraku) "I see no reason to match your gentlemanly pace. I'm not bothered using full force against you."
- (To Shunsui Kyōraku) "My, my. Apparently, you're quite an observant master. That's troublesome for me."
- (To Shunsui Kyōraku) "Why should I get up and leave a drinking party to go do back-breaking work?"
- (To Shunsui Kyōraku) "Unlike your lieutenant, who's all business, my counterpart approaches battle as a type of game. Catch a dragonfly, and she'll pluck off its wings. Catch a butterfly, and she'll drown it in water. Catch a cicada, and she'll rip off its legs. She can be very innocent and ingenuous, but merciless and cruel at the same time. I like to enjoy the finer things in life, but she's different. In fact, she tends to be rather dark and malicious. After seeing what she's capable of right before your eyes, it would be hard to accept her."
- (To Nanao Ise) "You say you want to throw a party, but why have a party underneath a cherry tree that hasn't even blossomed yet? It seems to me you don't know how to appreciate the beauty of things."
- (To Shunsui Kyōraku) "Mean I may be, but I am your sword, your companion, choking back her own desires, sworn to be by your side until the end."
Battles & Events
|The Rebellion Begins: Rise of Muramasa||None||Episode 230|
|Turning Point: Rescue the Captain-Commander||None||Episode 245, 246|
|Trapped by the Flames: Desperate Situation||None||Episode 247|
|Katen Kyōkotsu vs. Shunsui Kyōraku||None||Episode 246, 247||Draw|
|Katen Kyōkotsu, Nanao, & Shunsui vs. Bearded Tōjū||None||Episode 264||Win|
|Zanpakutō Spirits vs. Kirikaze||None||Episode 265||Win|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Bleach anime; Episode 230
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Bleach anime; Episode 246
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Bleach anime; Episode 247
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Bleach anime; Episode 257
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.9 Bleach anime; Episode 264
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 649, pages 5-7 & 14-15
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Bleach anime; Episode 265
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Bleach manga; Chapter 651, page 10
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 651, page 6
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 245
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 264
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 647, page 16
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 648, page 8
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 649, pages 5-7 & 14-16
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 650, pages 10-11 & 17
- ↑ Bleach manga, Chapter 649, page 7
|Known Spirits||Ashisogi Jizō • Gegetsuburi • Gonryōmaru • Haineko • Hisagomaru • Hōzukimaru • Hyōrinmaru • Katen Kyōkotsu • Kazeshini • Minazuki • Muramasa • Ruri'iro Kujaku • Ryūjin Jakka • Senbonzakura • Sode no Shirayuki • Sōgyo no Kotowari • Suzumebachi • Tenken • Tobiume • Wabisuke • Zabimaru • Zangetsu|