- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Plot
- 5 Powers & Abilities
- 6 Weakness
- 7 Appearances in Other Media
- 8 Censorship
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Quotes
- 11 References
- 12 Titles
- 13 Navigation
Hiyori is a very short, brown eyed, blonde-haired girl who wears her short hair in spiky pigtails with her bangs clipped together by three clips. She wears a white shirt and a red jogging suit, the latter with white lines running down from the shoulders and decorated with the first kanji of her name, as well as yellow flip flops. Hiyori carries her Zanpakutō over her back. On each cheek, under each of her eyes, she has three freckles. She has an overly long fang protruding from the upper left side of her mouth. This physical characteristic has caused both Ichigo and Shinji to call her "snaggletooth". She appears more haggard and not as sharp as she did during her days in Soul Society, with tired lines under her eyes.
During her time in Soul Society, she wore a standard Shinigami uniform with her lieutenant's armband on her left arm. During this time, her pigtails were fairly long and hung down, and she did not wear her hair clips.
Despite her small size, Hiyori is an aggressive and short-tempered girl with rather violent tendencies, her most common victim being Shinji Hirako, whom she frequently abuses, usually by smacking him with one of her sandals or kicking and punching him in the face. She has made it a reflex to use him as a human shield when necessary, and shows him an obvious lack of respect, a gesture which he seems to return. This behavior dates back to her time as a lieutenant, despite Shinji outranking her back then. She has highly aggressive tendencies, which often make her lash out at other people even under normal circumstances.
She shows very little respect to the majority of people around her, easily losing her temper and getting into fights. Having viewed her former captain Kirio Hikifune as a motherly figure, Hiyori was very hurt by her departure, and initially refused to accept Urahara as her replacement, even treating him with her trademark violence and disrespect, despite his attempts to be her friend. When Kirio Hikifune was in charge of her, Hiyori was very respectful to her old captain as a sign of respect and trust, but still smacked everyone else around. Hiyori seems to harbor a hatred of both Shinigami and Humans. As a result of her thorny disposition and possible insecurities, Hiyori never displays much emotion besides anger, and always appears to be frowning.
During her time training, she never succeeded in making Ichigo call her "Hiyori-san" (Miss Hiyori), though she calls Ichigo and Shinji "dumbass" among other names.
Fake Karakura Town arc
The Thousand-Year Blood War arc
After taking an afternoon bath, Hiyori, coming across Lisa, yells at her, asking why no one is replying to her to let her in. When Lisa tells her Love is at the store, Hiyori asks why Lisa is not replying. Lisa, stating she does not have a key, says only Hachi has a key, and he went to a cafe due to being hot. Smelling Shinigami, Hiyori turns around to find a small hole opening next to her.
Later, she gets into an argument with Shinji over ordering something, before Shinji hangs up on her. Hachi then arrives with a package, and Hiyori remarks on its speed of delivery. Hiyori looks at the contents of the package and decides to go through with the task to fix the distortion between Soul Society and the Human World, dragging her fellow Visored into the task with her.
The next day, Hiyori arrives in Soul Society alongside Hachigen, Love, and Lisa, where she finds Urahara drawing a line in the ground with his cane. When Urahara informs her that Yoruichi has gone ahead, Hiyori points out how they agreed that they would all meet up here and demands to know if he believes that it does not matter if she and Ichigo die as long as they slow down the enemy, only to be interrupted by the arrival of Yūshirō Shihōin. When Urahara tells Yūshirō that Yoruichi leaving in advance was "for the Seireitei", Hiyori notes that she hates it when he says this.
Later, Hiyori and the other Visored appear in Urahara's lab with a large container holding a mysterious substance gathered from the distortion points between the Soul Society and the Dangai. She briefly trades insults with Shinji before pouring the substance on the floor as part of Urahara's plan to transport them to the Soul King Palace. When Urahara tells the Visored to put on their Shihakushō in the medical room, Hiyori begins to protest, but Love hoists her over his shoulder and begins to walk away while admonishing her for trying to get out of this while Shinji, Kensei, and Rose are doing their best. In the separate room, Hiyori sadly puts on a shihakushō in preparation for her trip to the Soul King Palace. Later on, in the laboratory, Hiyori arrives with the other Visored in shihakushō, as Hiyori complains to Urahara about finally wearing the shihakusho before demanding a sphere from him.
Hiyori makes it to Wahrwelt with the other surviving Shinigami. Along with them, she promptly makes her way through the city but fails to notice when Lille Barro begins shooting the stragglers from a higher location. Later, Hiyori and Hachigen hide from a gigantic Gerard Valkyrie, with Hiyori noting that the others must have already been defeated. After Gerard smashes the building they are hiding in, Hiyori appears behind him and tells him to shut up about miracles before donning her Hollow mask and firing a Cero. When Gerard brushes off the Cero and claims that it will take more than that to defeat him, Hiyori notes that no one said the Cero was meant to kill him as Hachigen, Love Aikawa, and Lisa Yadōmaru attack Gerard from behind, only for Gerard to easily withstand their attacks before sending all four of them flying into nearby buildings.
Hiyori returns to the Human World sometime after the war. Ten years later, she chases Ichigo and Orihime's son Kazui Kurosaki out of her home after the child sneaked into it. She attempts to catch him, but he escapes, and she comments that he runs like the wind.
Powers & Abilities
Hakuda Expert: Hiyori is a very capable hand-to-hand fighter, who commonly use various kicks in combination with her Zanpakutō to take out opponents. She effortlessly overwhelmed a dangerous inmate from the Maggot's Nest who had taken her hostage.
- Gatling Mad-Stomping (ガトリング地団駄, Gatoringu Jidanda): Hiyori performs multiple foot stomps on an opponent's face. The technique is powerful enough to send Ichigo flying and completely shatter his Hollow mask.
- Super Harisen Slipper (スーパーハリセンスリッパ, Sūpā Harisen Surippa): Hiyori smacks her opponent with her sandal. This technique, while simple, possesses enough force to send Shinji Hirako flying through a nearby wall and Hachi's barrier.
Expert Swordsman: Hiyori's skills in swordsmanship are considerable, having spent time as a lieutenant in the Gotei 13. Her fighting style is aggressive and unpredictable, as she channels a lot of her attitude and anger into her attacks. She has fought off numerous Menos Grande, held her own against an experienced fighter like Ichigo Kurosaki, and held her own against the 3rd Espada, Tier Harribel (while fighting alongside Lisa Yadōmaru and Tōshirō Hitsugaya).
- Suikawari (西瓜割, Watermelon Splitting): Hiyori comes down with her sword upon an opponent. She used this technique to cleanly cut down through the head and mask of a Gillian with ease.
Enhanced Speed: Her speed is considerable, and she regularly uses it to supplement her fighting skill, surprising those she attacks. While training Ichigo, she uses what appeared to be Shunpo.
High Spiritual Power: Hiyori possesses lieutenant-level Reiryoku. Being a Visored, Hiyori possesses a dual-type spiritual energy, part Shinigami and part Hollow. Her spiritual energy is pink. With her mask on, she can focus considerable amounts of energy into a blast to knock targets away.
Kubikiri Orochi (馘大蛇, Beheading Serpent; Viz "Head-Slicing Serpent"): Hiyori's Zanpakutō is a standard katana, though its tsuba (decorated sword guard) is decorated in small hearts. During her days as a lieutenant, she would wear it by her belt, but as a Visored, she normally carries her sword over her right shoulder on her back. In the anime, during her days as a lieutenant, Hiyori also carried her Zanpakutō on her back.
- Shikai: Its Shikai command is Chop Cleanly (ぶっ手切れ, buttegire; Butcher them in the English Dub). Hiyori's katana becomes a large cleaver with a serrated saw-like blade.
- Shikai Special Ability: Unknown
- Bankai: Not Yet Achieved
Hollow Mask: Skeletal in appearance, her Hollow mask sports a prominent horn centered on the forehead and a row of diamond-shaped markings over the eyebrows. Upon donning her Hollow mask, the sclera of her eyes turn black, though her irises remain brown. She took the longest to defeat her inner Hollow out of all the current Visored (excluding Ichigo, who took about the same amount of time) at 69 minutes and 2 seconds. When angered or provoked in some way, the mask's power increases due to her emotions ruling her.
- Power Augmentation: While wearing the mask, Hiyori's Hollow powers supplement her Shinigami powers, giving her a vast increase in both strength and speed.
- Cero: Hiyori can fire a red Cero from the open mouth of her Hollow Mask. The powerful blast is sustainable, and can be used as a sweeping beam which can take out more than one target in one pass. Hiyori can also create a Cero in both hands while forming one in front of her mouth before firing them simultaneously.
Time Limit: Hiyori can only maintain her Hollow mask for 5 minutes at a time.
Appearances in Other Media
|Video Game Appearances|
- In The 3rd Phantom, Hiyori can use her Visored mask, use several Kidō, like Haien and Kurohitsugi, and can heal one of her allies which is quite powerful in the game.
- In Heat the Soul 7, she uses Kubikiri Orochi's Shikai as one of her attacks while wearing her Hollow mask.
- In Dark Souls, she appears as a Spirit Card, but is not playable in the game.
- Hiyori features in the first volume of Bleach "B" Station's third season.
- BuriCon - Bleach Concept Covers features her performing "Tabidatsu Kimi e" alongside Lisa Yadōmaru and Mashiro Kuna.
- In the manga, when Hiyori hits Shinji with her sandal while battling Ichigo, blood is shown coming from Shinji's face. In the anime however, no blood is shown.
- In the anime, during Hiyori's battle with Ichigo, when she slashes him, she draws less blood from him compared to the manga.
- In the manga, when Hiyori moves to attack Aizen, she is bifurcated by Gin Ichimaru's Shinsō, and Shinji catches the top half of her body. In the anime, when Hiyori moves to attack Aizen, she is stabbed through the abdomen from behind by Gin's Shinsō, and Shinji, catching her whole body, deals with a significantly less wounded Hiyori.
- Hiyori was ranked the 43rd most popular character in the third character popularity poll and 24th in the fifth.
- Kubikiri Orochi ranked 64th in the first Zanpakutō poll and 31st in the second.
- In the second best bout poll, Hiyori's fight with Tōshirō Hitsugaya was ranked 77th and her fight with Gin Ichimaru was ranked 83rd.
- (To Yasutora Sado and Orihime Inoue) "A princess and a tiger, huh? Such excessive names! Our names mean 'monkey' and 'lewd!' I'm so jealous!"
- (To Tōshirō Hitsugaya) "I don't want to be helping you out Shinigami!! But this isn't the time for that!!" 
- (To Shinji Hirako) "I'm...sorry...Shinji......I...was impatient..."
- Bleach Official Character Book MASKED, page 204
- Bleach manga; Chapter -103, page 8
- Bleach anime; Episode 208
- Bleach manga; Chapter 189, page 14
- Bleach manga; Chapter -107, page 4
- Bleach manga; Chapter -108, pages 8-10
- Bleach manga; Chapter -107, pages 1-3
- Bleach manga; Chapter -107, pages 10-12
- Bleach manga; Chapter -107, pages 12-14
- Bleach anime; Episode 207
- Bleach manga; Chapter -107, pages 20-21
- Bleach manga; Chapter -106, pages 3-13
- Bleach manga; Chapter -106, pages 13-16
- Bleach manga; Chapter -106, pages 17-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter -105, pages 1-6
- Bleach manga; Chapter -104, pages 4-9
- Bleach manga; Chapter -103, pages 8-13
- Bleach manga; Chapter -102, pages 15-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter -101
- Bleach manga; Chapter -100, pages 8-15
- Bleach manga; Chapter -100, pages 16-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter -98
- Bleach manga; Chapter -98, page 3
- Bleach manga; Chapter -97, pages 4-14
- Bleach manga; Chapter -97, pages 15-18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 186, page 6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 189, pages 13-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 190, pages 1-5
- Bleach manga; Chapter 215, pages 7-9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 215, pages 16-25
- Bleach manga; Chapter 216, pages 1-4
- Bleach manga; Chapter 216, pages 7-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 217, pages 7-10
- Bleach manga; Chapter 218, page 5
- Bleach manga; Chapter 222, pages 3 & 6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 225, page 7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 225, pages 10-13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 228, pages 8-9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 228, page 13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 229, pages 7-8
- Bleach manga; Chapter -97, page 19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 364, pages 19-20
- Bleach manga; Chapter 365, pages 5-7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 365, pages 16-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 366, pages 2-3
- Bleach manga; Chapter 366, pages 6-7
- Bleach manga, Chapter 367, pages 7-9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 368, pages 10-13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 375, pages 16-18
- Bleach manga; Chapter 377, page 6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 377, pages 5-9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 377, pages 9-16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 383, pages 12-13
- Bleach manga; Chapter 389, page 9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 422, pages 2-4
- Bleach manga; Chapter 481, pages 1-2
- Bleach manga; Chapter 545, pages 12-14
- Bleach manga; Chapter 606, pages 5-10
- Bleach manga; Chapter 614, pages 1-4
- Bleach manga; Chapter 614, page 9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 617, page 14
- Bleach manga; Chapter 635, page 11
- Bleach manga; Chapter 658, pages 9-15
- Bleach manga; Chapter 686, page 1
- Bleach anime; Episodes 207-208
- Bleach manga; Chapter 216, page 7
- Bleach Official Character Book UNMASKED, page 152
- Bleach manga; Chapter 225, pages 11-12
- Bleach Official Character Book UNMASKED, page 155
- Bleach manga; Chapter 215, page 16
- Bleach manga; Chapter 216, pages 1-19
- Bleach manga; Chapter 375, pages 19-20
- Bleach manga; Chapter 366, page 6
- Bleach manga; Chapter 215, page 20
- Bleach manga; Chapter 216, page 7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 228, pages 8-9
- Bleach anime; Episode 126; Only portrayed in the anime.
- Bleach anime; Episode 122
- Bleach manga; Chapter 375, pages 16-17
- Bleach manga; Chapter 215, pages 24-25
- Bleach manga; Chapter 222, page 4
- Bleach manga; Chapter 366, pages 6-7
- Bleach manga; Chapter 658, page 11
- Bleach video game; Bleach: The 3rd Phantom
- Bleach video game; Bleach: Heat the Soul 7
- Bleach video game; Bleach: Dark Souls
- Bleach manga; Chapter 215, page 13
- Bleach anime; Episode 122
- Bleach anime; Episode 123
- Bleach manga; Chapter 216, page 11-12
- Bleach manga; Chapter 377, page 12-14
- Bleach anime; Episode 285
- 13 BLADEs., page 253
- 13 BLADEs., page 254
- 13 BLADEs., page 255
- Bleach manga; Chapter 190, page 2
- Bleach manga; Chapter 190, page 5
- Bleach manga; Chapter 367, page 9
- Bleach manga; Chapter 377, page 15
|Lieutenant of the 12th Division
? - 1900 A.D.
|Current Members||Shinji Hirako • Love Aikawa • Mashiro Kuna • Kensei Muguruma • Rōjūrō Ōtoribashi • Hiyori Sarugaki • Hachigen Ushōda • Lisa Yadōmaru|
|Former Members||Ichigo Kurosaki|
|Current Members||Mayuri Kurotsuchi (President) • Akon (Vice-President) • Rin Tsubokura (Chief Operator of the C.R.S.) • Hiyosu (Primary Gigai Expert) • Niko Kuna • Torue|
|Former Members||Kisuke Urahara (Founder) • Hiyori Sarugaki • Nemu Kurotsuchi • Kagerōza Inaba • Ōko Yushima|
|Equipment||Gokon Tekkō • Denreishinki • Gikongan • Gigai|
|Related||12th Division • Shinigami Research and Development Institute|