|An Accomplished Oath! Get back Rukia!|
|Romanji||Hatasareru chikai! Rukia dakkan naruka!|
|Manga Chapters||Chapter 149, Chapter 150, Chapter 151, Chapter 152, Chapter 88.5 (omake)|
|Arc||Soul Society: The Rescue arc|
|Previous Episode||Gin Ichimaru's Temptation, Resolution Shattered|
|Next Episode||The Strongest Shinigami! Ultimate Confrontation Between Teacher and Students|
|Japanese||October 18, 2005|
|English||March 9, 2008|
|Opening||Ichirin No Hana|
|Episode 54 Screenshots|
Rukia Kuchiki's execution ceremony commences, but does not proceed as planned.
While preparing to face off against one another atop the damaged pavilion, 11th Division Captain Kenpachi Zaraki and 7th Division Captain Sajin Komamura, who is wielding his Bankai, Kokujō Tengen Myō'ō, are startled when a surge of energy flares up from Sōkyoku Hill, leading them to realize that the execution ceremony has begun. Around the Seireitei, 11th Division 3rd Seat Ikkaku Madarame, 13th Division 3rd Seat Sentarō Kotsubaki, 11th Division Lieutenant Yachiru Kusajishi, and the Ryoka notice this as well.
Upon noticing the energy surge as well, 10th Division Captain tells his lieutenant, Rangiku Matsumoto, that they are going, prompting the two of them to head off toward the Central 46 Compound while 3rd Division Lieutenant Izuru Kira steps into view behind them. Elsewhere, when Sentarō informs her that the execution is beginning and inquires if their captain, Jūshirō Ukitake, is ready, his fellow 3rd Seat Kiyone Kotetsu berates him for being so loud before frantically calling out to Ukitake and running off.
With Sentarō observing that she is being just as loud, Kiyone repeatedly knocks on a set of wooden doors in the room and relays the news to Ukitake, only to be stunned when the doors open to release a large amount of mist. Apologizing to Sentarō and Kiyone for keeping them waiting because the seal took longer to break than he expected it would, Ukitake notes that this is their only after the Central 46 refused to listen to them and stands with the Shihōin Shield in hand as he proclaims that they are going to destroy the Sōkyoku, which Sentarō and Kiyone affirm. Near Sōkyoku Hill, Yachiru, Makizō Aramaki, and the Ryoka stare at the energy surge.
When Orihime Inoue wonders what it is, Yachiru observes that the execution may have started, leading a startled Uryū Ishida to assert that they need to hurry, only for Yachiru to state that she will be going ahead of them while walking forward. Upon being asked why by a confused Orihime, Yachiru admits that she does not care about the execution, but she needs to help Ichigo Kurosaki if he is there. With a touched Orihime thanking her for this, Yachiru laughs and questions why she did so because it is only natural to help Ichigo since he is Kenpachi's friend, stunning Orihime and the rest of the Ryoka, before declaring that she is leaving.
After instructing the Ryoka to take care of the weaker enemies they encounter while she deals with the tough ones, Yachiru dashes ahead at high speed, leaving a cloud of dust to flow over the Ryoka as Uryū and Ganju Shiba are left stunned by how fast she is and Orihime thanks Yachiru once more. On Sōkyoku Hill, Captain-Commander Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto stands before the Sōkyoku, which surges with energy, and agrees to Rukia Kuchiki's request to allow the Ryoka to return home unharmed after the execution concludes, to Rukia's relief. However, 4th Division Lieutenant Isane Kotetsu considers this cruel because Yamamoto has no intention of sparing them.
Standing beside Isane, her captain, Retsu Unohana, clarifies that this is kindness rather than cruelty, and as a surprised Isane wonders where she has been, Unohana explains that the least they can do is ease Rukia's worries and give her peace of mind if execution is her unavoidable fate. In front of the captains and lieutenants, several members of the Kidō Corps approach and surround the Sōkyoku before making multiple hand seals in front of short pillars on the ground, causing the energy around the Sōkyoku to blast into the sky and concentrate around the short pillars of the Kidō Corps when Yamamoto commands them to release it.
Suddenly, the ropes binding the Sōkyoku begin snapping at the base and whirling around the Sōkyoku, with members of the Fourth Division observing that this means the Sōkyoku is being unbound, before flying off the Sōkyoku and becoming completely rigid and straight as they embed themselves in the ground below Sōkyoku Hill. Rukia looks up at the Sōkyoku and notes that her heart is regaining some peace despite 3rd Division Captain Gin Ichimaru sending it into turmoil earlier, which she initially assumes is due to Yamamoto's promise, only to attribute it to her brother, Byakuya Kuchiki, not even looking at her while she was trying to think of a way to survive.
As she looks over the assembled captains and lieutenants, Rukia thanks Byakuya. Suddenly, three medium-size cubes rise from the platform underneath Rukia's feet, and as the cord binding her arms behind her back dissolves, Rukia finds the cubes splaying her arms outward on either side and locking her legs together by hovering in front of them before ascending toward the top of the execution scaffold with her frozen in place, looking at those assembled below. When her captain, Shunsui Kyōraku, requests that she not look so sad about this because she is making him feel bad, 8th Division Lieutenant Nanao Ise clarifies that it is not sadness she is feeling.
With Rukia position at the top of the scaffold, fire flares up at the base of the Sōkyoku and begins coiling around the length of it in streams of flame, leading 2nd Division Lieutenant Marechiyo Ōmaeda to express shock at this being the release of the Sōkyoku as it levitates into the air and begins turning to point its blade at Rukia. While 2nd Division Captain Suì-Fēng realizes that it is changing shape and Shunsui admits his surprise, the fire engulfing the Sōkyoku morphs and condenses around it to form Kikōō, a massive phoenix that hovers in front of a stunned Rukia while Yamamoto identifies it as the true form of the Sōkyoku and the officiating executioner of the ultimate punishment.
Yamamoto concludes that the execution will be over when Kikōō pierces Rukia's body, and as the captains look on with varying reactions, Rukia mentally states that she is not afraid because she has led a good life and was blessed. Recalling how she met 6th Division Lieutenant Renji Abarai and his friends as children, was taken in by Byakuya, and was guided by 13th Division Lieutenant Kaien Shiba, Rukia remembers being saved by Ichigo and asserts that she is not sad or suffering, with her heart leaving nothing behind. As Ukitake, his subordinates, and the Ryoka hurry toward Sōkyoku Hill, Rukia thanks all of them, as well as Byakuya once again, before thinking of Ichigo.
After pausing for several seconds, Rukia thanks Ichigo and closes her eyes as tears roll down her cheeks. After screeching and rushing toward Rukia, Kikōō collides in a burst of flame. However, as the Shinigami watch from the ground below, Rukia opens her eyes upon realizing she is not dead and sees Ichigo standing in the air before her with the aid of a Tentōken, holding back Kikōō with his Shikai, Zangetsu, while casually greeting her. Initially stunned by this, Rukia demands to know why Ichigo came, to his astonishment, and claims that he should know by now that he cannot defeat Byakuya and will definitely be killed before declaring that she is resigned to her fate.
As she asserts that she does not need Ichigo to rescue her, Rukia firmly tells him to go home. Down on the ground, Suì-Fēng is astonished that Ichigo is blocking an entity with the power of one million Zanpakutō using only a single Zanpakutō, leading her to wonder who he is while the other captains and lieutenants stare in disbelief. Upon being asked by Shunsui if this is the boy whom Yasutora Sado was referring to, Nanao confirms this and notes that Ichigo physically matches the descriptions in the reports they have received. While Shunsui observes that the Ryoka are the ones who came to save the day after all, Byakuya stares intently at Ichigo.
Suddenly, Kikōō screeches and backs up from Ichigo, who is startled by the sudden lack of pressure at his back and realizes that Kikōō is preparing to attack once again. Despite Rukia frantically insisting that he will not be able to stop Kikōō a second time and that he will be torn to pieces by this, Ichigo turns and rushes at Kikōō while the latter hurtles forward, only to stop in surprise when a long cable attached to a metal rod is launched into the air and wraps itself around the neck of Kikōō. With the pole embedding itself in the ground on the other side of Kikōō, Isane is shocked to see Ukitake having launched it from the Shihōin Shield as he, Sentarō, and Kiyone stand nearby.
When Shunsui leaps to the rod alongside Nanao to drive it further into the ground and comments on how long Ukitake made them wait, Isane is further stunned by his involvement as Yamamoto turns around in surprise. After apologizing for how long it took to break the seal, Ukitake proclaims that this should do it and slams the Shihōin Shield into the ground, where Suì-Fēng recognizes the Shihōin Clan crest on the front and realizes that they are going to destroy the Sōkyoku before ordering Marechiyo to stop them, though he simply questions why she chose him. Drawing their Zanpakutō, Shunsui and Ukitake slash vertically through the top of the Shihōin Shield.
The two ends of the cable are infused with Reiryoku, which travels up the length of both ends toward Kikōō and into the portion wrapped around its neck, resulting in Kikōō exploding in a massive burst of flames that rain down on the area below. As he watches this, Ichigo admits that he does not know what is going on, but decides to take advantage of the confusion and leaps onto the top of the scaffold while his eyes glow blue with Reiatsu. Upon being asked by Rukia what he is doing, Ichigo declares that he is going to destroy the scaffold and begins spinning Zangetsu above his head by the cloth on the hilt, leaving Rukia in disbelief.
Though Rukia attempts to inform him of the scaffold's durability matching the power of the Sōkyoku, Ichigo brushes off her warning and simply requests that she watch before driving Zangetsu into the scaffold and channeling his Reiryoku through it, causing the scaffold to glow blue as its central portion is destroyed, blowing a massive hole all the way through the underside of Sōkyoku Hill. While the dust settles, Ichigo reminds Rukia that he is rejecting her protests and proclaims that he really is going to save Rukia this time on his second try while standing on the right side of the scaffold and carrying Rukia under his left arm, leading Rukia to tearfully refuse to thank him for this.
With Ichigo acknowledging this, those on the ground below are dumbstruck by Ichigo destroying the scaffold and question just what he is. As Ichigo and Byakuya glare at each other, Rukia inquires how Ichigo plans for them to disappear with so many eyes watching them, and when Ichigo bluntly states that they will make a run for it, an incredulous Rukia points out how there are multiple captains present, prompting an annoyed Ichigo to claim that he will simply beat them all prior to leaving before explaining that he needs to save Orihime, Sado, Uryū, Ganju, and 4th Division 7th Seat Hanatarō Yamada as well because they helped out with the rescue effort.
Looking at Ichigo's confident expression, Rukia observes that she can feel his strength flowing into her and concludes that he has become strong. Suddenly, Ichigo and Rukia are alerted by a commotion on the ground below, where the members of the Kidō Corps are all knocked out in rapid succession as Renji arrives. While Ichigo notes that he has come, Renji falls to his knees in pain and leans on his Zanpakutō for support before calling out to Rukia when she yells his name, prompting Rukia to express her relief that he made it here. When Ichigo claims that he figured Renji would show up, Renji counters that no one else would save Rukia if he did not.
After smiling at this, Ichigo hoists a confused Rukia into the air above his head, and as a mortified Renji realizes what he is about to do, Ichigo tells Renji to catch and throws a screaming Rukia at him, leaving Renji to berate him before being sent flying back with enough force to gouge a shallow channel into the ground upon catching Rukia in his arms. However, as Rukia and Renji begin admonishing him for doing this, Ichigo orders Renji to take Rukia away from here and not let go even if it kills him, leading Renji to run off toward the copse of trees in the distance with a surprised Rukia in his arms while Ichigo and Byakuya continue to glare at each other.
With Marechiyo and Isane staring at Renji in astonishment, Suì-Fēng demands that all the lieutenants pursue him, which Yamamoto and Unohana affirm to their respective lieutenants. 1st Division Lieutenant Chōjirō Sasakibe, Marechiyo, and Isane all run after Renji, only to find themselves confronted by Ichigo, who appears in their path with Shunpo and embeds Zangetsu into the ground next to him, prompting Marechiyo to angrily demand that Ichigo get out of their way. While Isane releases her Shikai, Itegumo, granting her sword two additional blades at 45-degree angles, Chōjirō releases his Shikai, Gonryōmaru, transforming his sword into a rapier.
However, as Marechiyo releases his Shikai, Gegetsuburi, transforming his Zanpakutō into a large spiked ball on a chain, Ichigo shatters it with a single punch to Marechiyo's gut that knocks him out, shocking Isane and Chōjirō. After sidestepping a thrust from Chōjirō and pushing his sword arm aside, Ichigo knocks him out with an uppercut to the head, and with Isane stunned that he is not even using his Zanpakutō, Ichigo knocks her out with a single blow to the abdomen as well, leaving her to fly back alongside Chōjirō and Marechiyo, before pulling Zangetsu out of the ground to block a slash from Byakuya, whom he greets audaciously.
Shinigami Cup Golden
Zennosuke Kurumadani introduces himself as the Shinigami sent to replace Rukia Kuchiki due to her arrest and imprisonment. When his Denreishinki alerts him to a Hollow appearing nearby, Zennosuke prepares to head out, only for Don Kanonji to kick him down and send forth his Karakura Superheroes - Jinta Hanakari, Ururu Tsumugiya, Karin Kurosaki, Yuzu Kurosaki, and Kon, who wonders why he is doing this. As Don Kanonji steps on him once more and follows his team while laughing, a dazed Zennosuke wonders what that was.
Characters in Order of Appearance
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Byakuya Kuchiki: Rematch
- Kenpachi Zaraki vs. Kaname Tōsen & Sajin Komamura (concluded)
Powers and Techniques Used
- Shunpo (瞬歩, Flash Steps)
Zanpakutō released: Shikai:
- Zangetsu (斬月, Slaying Moon)
- Itegumo (凍雲, Frozen Cloud)
- Gonryōmaru (厳霊丸, Stern Spirit))
- Gegetsuburi (五形頭, Five-Formed Head))
- 02:27 - No Official Release
- 03:29 - Bleach 5th Anniversary Box CD 1 - 03 - BL_73
- 06:11 - Bleach 5th Anniversary Box CD 1 - 16 - BL_92
- 09:07 - Bleach 5th Anniversary Box CD 1 - 17 - BL_13
- 09:56 - Bleach 5th Anniversary Box CD 1 - 12 - BL_16 (Destiny Awaits - Other Version)
- 12:24 - Bleach 5th Anniversary Box CD 1 - 02 - BL_56
- 13:48 - Bleach OST 1 - 01 - On the Precipice of Defeat
- 15:21 - Bleach OST 1 - 20 - Storm Center
- 18:21 - Bleach OST 1 - 22 - Going Home
- 20:27 - Bleach OST 1 - 21 - Number One
- Rangiku Matsumoto reacting to the commencement of the execution ceremony.
- Marechiyo Ōmaeda reacting to Kikōō being bound by the Shihōin Shield.
- Byakuya Kuchiki staring at Ichigo after the latter destroys the execution scaffold.
- Renji Abarai rushing to save Rukia Kuchiki from her execution.
- Zennosuke Kurumadani stating that he is filling for Rukia after she was arrested for a crime he does not remember the details of and observing that something has been bothering him since he got to Karakura Town.
- Ikkaku Madarame reacting verbally to the commencement of the execution ceremony.
- Yasutora Sado and Ganju Shiba reacting to the commencement of the execution ceremony.
- Isane Kotetsu questioning where Unohana has been.
- The Kidō Corps members performing hand seals and concentrating the released power of the Sōkyoku around several posts circling the perimeter.
- A flashback to Rukia's confrontation with Gin Ichimaru on the bridge.
- An illustration of Rukia's heart calming down as ripples fading on water.
- The captains reacting to Ichigo Kurosaki's arrival directly after he stops Kikōō, consisting of recycled footage of them reacting to the transformation of the Sōkyoku.
- The Kidō Corps members being blown away by the force of the exploding Kikōō.
- Ichigo admitting that he does not know what is going on after Kikōō is destroyed.
- Ichigo yelling as he destroys the scaffold.
- Renji falling to his knees and using his Zanpakutō to support himself after incapacitating the members of the Kidō Corps.
- Ichigo stating that he figured Renji would show up and Renji claiming that no one else would save Rukia if he did not.
- Don Kanonji knocking down Zennosuke and running off with the Karakura Superheroes, leaving Zennosuke to question who they are.
- In the manga, Yachiru Kusajishi and the Ryoka are running when they realize the execution ceremony has begun; here, they are standing still.
- The trail of dust left in Yachiru's wake is not curving around her path as it was in the manga.
- In the manga, Unohana was present from the beginning of the execution ceremony alongside the other captains and lieutenants; here, she arrives immediately after Rukia expresses her last wishes to Yamamoto due to having spent time healing Renji at the bridge where he was cut down, leading Isane to question where she has been.
- In the manga, the ropes binding the Sōkyoku are burned off to free it; here, they instead fray from the sheer power coursing over them and snap off.
- Some of the Fourth Division Shinigami watching the Sōkyoku being released from afar have different faces and hairstyles here compared to the manga.
- In the manga, Nanao Ise is on Shunsui Kyōraku's right side while they are observing the execution; here, she is on his left side.
- In the manga, Suì-Fēng begins describing what is happening to the Sōkyoku during its transformation as it being on fire, and Isane finishes her sentence by observing that the fire is changing shape; here, Suì-Fēng merely observes that the fire around the Sōkyoku is taking on a shape.
- All three of Rukia and Renji's childhood friends are visible in Rukia's flashback to her youth, whereas in the manga only Fujimaru is visible.
- In the manga, Rukia's memory of Ichigo saving her is a newly-drawn panel of him wounded in the fight against Byakuya and Renji; here, it is a flashback to existing footage of that fight.
- When Kikōō is destroyed, the shattered Sōkyoku is not visible among the flames.
- In the manga, when confronting the lieutenants, Ichigo embeds Zangetsu in the ground in front of him with the blade pointing backwards; here, he embeds Zangetsu in the ground next to him with the blade pointing to his left.
- In the manga, when he is knocked out by Ichigo, Marechiyo is still holding the handle of Gegetsuburi; here, he instead drops it on impact.
- In the manga, Ichigo knocks out Chōjirō Sasakibe before he can attack by grabbing Chōjirō's sword arm by the wrist with his left hand and hitting Chōjirō in the face with his right; here, Chōjirō manages to get a single thrust of Gonryōmaru in, but Ichigo sidesteps him, pushes his sword arm aside, then hits him with an uppercut, knocking him out.
- In the manga, Ichigo knocking out Isane is not directly shown; here, he is seen hitting her once in the abdomen to achieve this.
- In the manga, when he receives a Hollow alert, Zennosuke is standing on top of a telephone pole; here, he is instead standing on a riverbank.
|Gin Ichimaru's Temptation, Resolution Shattered||The Strongest Shinigami! Ultimate Confrontation Between Teacher and Students|